EX-CORPORAL 3449600 RICHARD PATTERSON
1/8TH Bn. THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS

CONTENTS:

L/F's Killed at kohima

TALES FROM THE FAR EAST

"Mopping Up"
"The Brigadier"

Photo's of Japanese solders found at Kohima

HOME PAGE

"IT'S A MUGS GAME"

ARRIVAL AT JORHAT


(This is an extract of 222 words out of the 448 words in the full tale of "ARRIVAL AT JORHAT.")

.......From truck to train; and then Armada Road, which to us then, was just a huge field full of bell-tents. In fact it wasn't 'till early next morning that a chap said to me, "I wonder where were off to?" I replied that I hadn't heard, there weren't even any rumours, everyone seemed mystified. Then he said, "Haven't you seen all the planes over the hedge?" Although the hedge was no more than twenty yards away I took his remark as a joke, and wouldn't have moved, but he strolled over and beckoned. The view over the hedge was an unexpected contrast. In place of green grass, the ground appeared as clay; and in place of rows of bell-tents, there were rows of large aeroplanes.

As soon as the news spread, the rumours began to circulate. "We're going to China, to attack the Japs from the rear," was one I remember. Another more wishful was, "We're going home to prepare for the Second Front."

We were ordered to parade on the airfield and within minutes all rumours and wishful thinking was killed 'stone dead',

The Japs, we were told, had crossed the Chindwin river and were rapidly advancing on India. Our destination was Assam and we could expect to be in action within twenty-four hours.

There were some L shaped latrine trenches.......



©  COPYRIGHT RICHARD PATTERSON 2001

Read extracts from a collection of short stories from the Far East which can be obtained on CD shortly.


TALES FROM BURMA
"Ponies"
"George Glover"
"The Pipe"
"John Murray"
"George an' Charlie"

A TALE FROM INDIA
"The Chiropodist"
"Arrival at Jorhat"


get this gear!



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook