EX-CORPORAL 3449600  RICHARD PATTERSON
1/8TH Bn. THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS

CONTENTS:

L/F's Killed at kohima

TALES FROM THE FAR EAST

"Mopping Up"
"The Brigadier"

Photo's of Japanese solders found at Kohima

HOME PAGE

"IT'S A MUGS GAME"

To strengthen my point about it being a mugs game, they're having a job at the moment to get people in the services, because more and more people are getting wide to the fact that, it's a mugs game. So they're starting on the women now. You wouldn't believe it. The thin end of the wedge was when they got the women in the women's services in the 1st World War. They only got them driving trucks and doing clerical work and they were still doing that in the 2nd World War. They were never doing any fighting of course. Well now they're training women as fighter pilots and they're going to sea with the Navy. So you can see what I'm telling you. These bleedin' business men and politicians will use anybody, anybody to do the dirty work, but they wont do it there bleedin' selves, because they are geared to making money and you should be the same. You should be looking at your life now. You want to be living a comfortable life, not that sort of life. Not that sort of mugs game. You want to aim for a comfortable life; and you'll do that mainly through education and what you know Learn as much as you can. Do as well as you can at school, listen to the teachers, don't daydream. So that's it in a nutshell.

Not all wars are just wars. A lot of the fellows in this country Australia went to fight in Vietnam with the Americans. The Prime Minister of Britain, Harold Wilson, a socialist, had at the time refused to send troops to Vietnam with the Americans. I was against it from the start. I even argued with my brother Jim about it. He thought it was all right, all just, but you see he never fought in a war. I say, "No it wasn't all right". They had no right to be in Vietnam, you want to bear that in mind.

If you read British history you'll find they've fought a lot of unfair wars. They've kicked people out of their own counties. They've fought wars and they have done a lot of things they accused other people of doing. So it's not all the dirty enemy that does this sort of thing. So you have to be very careful what you get involved in. Once you've joined the Army you've got no right to say who you should fight and who you shouldn't fight. You fight who they bloody well tell you to fight.

In the case of the Vietnam War, it was scandalous what they did. They dropped jellied petrol on villagers, men women and kids in Vietnam, and that was a long way from England and Australia. So the public didn't realise what was going on. It's like when they dropped the Atom bomb on Japan, on cities in Japan. That was terrible. Japan was beaten before they dropped the bomb.

So you get involved in all this dirty work once you've joined that bleedin' Army. So tell them to get stuffed.



©  RICHARD PATTERSON 2001


PAGE 15 OF 15   IT'S A MUGS GAME

Read extracts from a collection of short stories from the Far East which can be obtained on CD shortly.


TALES FROM BURMA
"Ponies"
"George Glover"
"The Pipe"
"John Murray"
"George an' Charlie"

A TALE FROM INDIA
"The Chiropodist"
"Arrival at Jorhat"


get this gear!



View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook